I am so happy to FINALLY post this project!
It was completely built 2 & 1/2 weeks ago....but getting it finished well...
I am blaming it on the weather...because truly it has been way too winterish. Staining wood and below freezing temperatures don't mix...and making my family high off of fumes....not happening.
So I waited, and waited, and waited. Then on a 48 degree temp day I braved the freezing wind to get this baby finished. I am from Vegas, and I don't like to be cold.
OK enough talk, meet my oldest son's new desk!
I started to get an idea...I had this amazing old wood that was given to me.
The stars were aligned, I had the perfect size scrap piece! So I set to work and grabbed some scrap 1x4's and cut them to fit. I ended up with a box like this:
(Please ignore the late night photo, and the dishes, our dishwasher is broken-of course). This was my dry fit and obviously I sanded the heck out of the end table pieces, they looked so much better.
Next I glued and screwed on the side and middle boards. Last, I screwed from the back into the long boards. The arrow is showing my pocket holes, gotta love my Kreg Jig!
Then I went out and cut every thing and built the boxes with my nail gun. I used scrap wood for the bottom of the drawers as well. You might have caught on by now that this desk was totally and completely free....my most favorite thing in the world!
Are you wondering why the drawers are upside down....I was just testing them out. Now I needed to attach the bottom.
On to the legs. I cut them the height I wanted with a double bevel at 10 degrees, ends parallel. Then I used some more scrap wood from the bunkie boards that were 1x2's for the aprons.