I have a fun Night Stand Makeover for you today! This project was first shared at My Repurposed Life back in March, as one of my contributor posts.
Life has been so busy I haven't had a chance to share it with you yet, so I am happy to do it now.
I started by prying off the bottom trim. It wasn’t too hard with a crowbar, but it left some lovely staples that I had to deal with.
I am always excited to use my new tools and I quickly grabbed my Roybi multi tool to do the job. Once I removed the staples I noticed the front trim had a lip on the side, so it didn’t sit flush with the side piece. See it in the photo above on the right? That meant I really couldn’t add different trim all the way around, but just to the front again….hmmm. I usually just wing things as I go and that is what I was doing here. I noticed when the trim was off that there was a nice space now maybe I could add a drawer?
So I went to the shed and found scrap pieces of plywood left over from cutting my Drawer Fronts in my Master Closet Makeover. I built a simple box with Gorilla Glue and nails from my nailgun. I had a thin piece of wood left over from the back of a hutch, that I cut to size for the bottom of the drawer. When that was attached I tried it out in the night stand, it fit perfect.
You can see I left a space for a drawer front, I decided to put a small scrap piece of wood for some trim on the bottom so the drawer front wouldn’t look funny with out some kind of bottom support. I just glued and nailed it on. But wait? Did you notice the night stand now has a bottom piece? Let’s back up a bit.
I unscrewed the lovely stickered top piece and removed it and as I was doing that I realized that I would need a bottom piece if I was going to install a drawer, so I cut the top piece to size and glued and screwed it on to the bottom of the night stand! Sa-weet.
Ok, back to the drawer. To add the drawer face I did it the easy way. Put glue on the drawer front, position the drawer face where you want it and hold it there while you nail it on. Easy!
Since I took off the old top, I needed to make a new one. I decided to use this scrap piece of flooring I had picked up at some point. Garbage to someone but a treasure to me. It is beautiful wood. I needed at least four pieces to cover the night stand, so I cut them to the right length. It would be a little too long so I cut one of them with a jig saw, since I don’t have a table saw. You can see it above, it is not as wide as the others. I used scraps to glue and nail on the back to attach them all together.
After I nailed on the scraps, I wanted to clean up the back edge I cut so clamped it down and trimmed it again with the jig saw. I should have waited to cut it this way in the first place. Live and learn!
While I was in the shed I noticed that my scraps of bead board left over from my desk hutch makeover, might fit the sides of the night stand. Yep! I only had to trim them just a little to make them fit. I grabbed some scraps and cut them to the right length, and nailed one on the bottom. Then I added some bead board, using just glue and nails again.
Last I added the top trim piece. I think this scrap wood was a stake or something, it had a tapered end, and I had a few to cut up. Here is the night stand with all the additions, I just placed on the top at this point to make sure it would fit.
I have found that I never regret using pre wood conditioner before I stain. It helps the stain go on evenly. I used Rusteloum’s Kona, for the color, I have an obsession for dark stained wood. I finished it off with 3 coats of poly, sanding with 400 grit sandpaper after coats 1 and 2.
For handles, I found these in my stash. I can’t help collecting them when I find them at thrift stores for cheap, these were in a set of 5 handles for $2. I decided to try matching them to the feet, and I had this gold spray paint. It was a pretty close match, but I need to rustic them up a bit…
So, I got out the stain and rubbed them down, let it sit for a minute or so and then rubbed off most of it. It worked! I sprayed the handles with a clear coat so the stain wouldn’t rub off.
I decided to go bold with this piece. It seems like I always pick the same colors. I have seen the Sherman Williams Envy on a few pieces of furniture on the internet and loved it. So I gave it a try, I primed first, then did two coats of the SW Envy. It is totally fun, and I am glad I tried it.
To finish I used small screws to add the feet, pre drilling first. To attach the new top I used the same screws that were used for the old top.
It was fun to use the feet, I am glad I finally did!